Disability or Ability?
Salón de Baile Ballroom Dance Studio - "Dance as if no one is watching"
My Blog

Disability or Ability?

Dance is usually not done as just a hobby. More often than not,
dancers will tell you it is their passion. I do not differ from this
mold. Dance is my passion, and it always has been. Though, I did enjoy
straying from the path most traveled, in this case being ballet, hip
hop, or jazz.
I evolved into what is considered an aerial dancer. I competed in pole
dance championships and performed aerial silks. I loved the
combination of flexibility, strength, and dance.
Then, all of it was ripped from me when I fell off a ski lift. I
destroyed both of my knees, including but not limited to three tears
in my ACL. After that, dance seemed to be a thing of the past for me.
After years and years in and out of wheelchairs and crutches, even
After seven knee surgeries and still more to come, I continued to
rebuild my career but it was never the same.
I finally felt back to myself when my road of dance got another
pothole. I was 17. When I saw my doctor, he told me the hearing loss
in my right ear was now permanent and I should expect to loose the
left ear as well. My left ear followed on New Year's Eve when I was
20. I was defeated. I finally felt as though my chance was over. So I
retired my pointe shoes, my silks, and my pole.
I started my new path. I enrolled in Armstrong State University,
became an English major, and learned to live with my body that
betrayed me. The school told me that I had to take P.E. Courses. I saw
a class for modern dance for beginners. I decided I would take a
chance. I thought to myself, "well, they are all beginners, and I will
be starting from the bottom as well, so why not."

I walked in and Rachael Moore as the instructor. She must have seen
something in me, because she told me to apply for her internship.
Now the stage is finally set. I started working at Salon de Baile as
an intern in November of 2015. I had my first competition in January
and walked away with first place in every heat I competed.
Though my dancing does come with some added complications, like my partner tapping the beat on my shoulder to assist me with keeping
time, Or like the shadow of my next knee surgery hanging over my head, which I'm currently working on scheduling between competitions. It is all worth it.

Rachael Moore is my perfect mentor. Her mission statement is that
anyone can dance. Because of this, Rachael gave a chance to a bad
kneed, deaf dancer who just wanted a second chance to pursue her
passion. She constantly explains to people that neither of those make
me any less of a dancer than anyone else, and neither of those are a
hindrance or disability.

I am honored to be an example of Rachael's mission statement. So if
you enjoy to move, but feel you have no rhythm or that you have two left feet, remember that I am a bionic kneed, deaf-dancer who now is a teacher, an entertainer, and a competitive ballroom dancer.

--Ashlie McCormac, SdeB Inter, Ballroom Competitor, SdeB LaBlast Instructor

August 10th, 2016

24 Comments to Disability or Ability? :

Comments RSS
custom essay on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 5:49 AM
Most of peoples are view and collected a lot of information’s and extra like that.if you find in one writing service first of all they will provide how to make and what are the information’s includes in the contents and writing formats.

collected on Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:08 AM

Web Designing Services in Indore on Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:42 AM
Thanks for the post.

hayday hack on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 4:39 PM
we simply require much more individuals of this amazing producing device for coins as well as rubies in Hay Day. Ladies as well as gents, we delight in to inform you that hay day hack applications is upgraded to variation

economic assignment on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 2:10 AM
I attended that event it was very good. the dance performance was awesome looking forward to see more

phd guidance services on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 2:02 AM
amazing information. thanks for sharing with us.

help on Thursday, October 05, 2017 12:36 AM
I have read so many topics about new year in the new days. So many articles they are updated to know about studio room for dance. Then everything will be good to understood the facts.

essay writer on Monday, October 09, 2017 1:24 AM
Thanks for addressing us Spotify and Pandora apps with us which can be a mood changer in winter. I am also a writer and working as writing services provider at Quality where students come to take guidance on

happy new year 2018 whatsapp dp on Saturday, November 25, 2017 4:05 AM
Download latest happy new year quotes. Get free wishes about happy new year 2018 whatsapp dp.

Best Greetings Quotes 2017 on Friday, December 01, 2017 12:51 AM
I want to thank you for interesting and helpful information and I like your point of view.

Pharmaceutical water System on Friday, December 01, 2017 12:54 AM
I hope you will keep writing articles as good as this, so I gained extensive insight. Thanks a lot!

olacoupons on Sunday, December 03, 2017 7:00 AM
thanks for the blog

Anonymous on Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:13 PM

Blair on Sunday, December 10, 2017 5:16 PM

International Business Platform on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 5:50 AM
All things considered, it's a pleasant one, I have been searching for. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing such enlightening stuff.

pan download on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 7:23 AM
According to RBI rules, the substances making web based business exchanges are required to give PIN (Personal Identification Number) while executing an online exchange.

uidai on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 12:41 PM
Thanks for the great information. Download eaadhar card online.

johanseena on Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:12 AM
Nice post but Developmental disability, a chronic condition that is due to mental impairments, often detected early in a child's development. There are however, many developmental disabilities that have no effect on the intellect. Disabilities affecting intellectual abilities, a broad concept encompassing various intellectual or cognitive ...

mba colleges in india on Monday, January 29, 2018 6:35 AM
Get the list of top MBA Colleges offering various courses in India & abroad on PaGaLGuY. Visit us to find all the information on best MBA institutes.

Today's IPL Match on Friday, February 09, 2018 2:16 AM
IPL 2018 Schedules, Time table, Match list IPL 2018 Schedules date time not yet discharged. If you don't mind check following 3 days

GBWhatsApp Apk on Sunday, February 18, 2018 8:42 AM
Thanks for the blog.

تحميل برنامج ترو on Monday, February 19, 2018 1:34 AM
تحميل برنامج ترو كولر

Fantastic Be on Friday, February 23, 2018 8:37 AM
The adventures of writer Newt Scamander in New York's secret community of witches and wizards seventy years before Harry Potter reads his book in school.

mykfc feedback on Thursday, March 01, 2018 4:33 AM
thanks for the great information